Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Sea Glass from Lake Erie

I have been collecting sea glass from our beach for 23 years.  And, it is kept in jars and containers all over the house, although I prefer to have it on display as we get into the warmer part of the year.  It seems to be the right time to enjoy.








A portion of my beach  glass collection




Most of the colors that I find here are blues and greens, which is typical on our part of Lake Erie.  Most come from bottles and from insulators.  The glass gets tumbled around in the waves before washing ashore.


Pretty blues and greens




Collecting sea glass is a world wide past time, and I belong to a couple of Facebook groups where people share their finds.

The most desirable colors have eluded me for the most part.  Red, purple, orange. . .but, I do have a very few precious pieces of those colors.  Mostly, they are marbles, which, as an object, is also desirable.  None of these came to me quickly.  It was years of scouring the shoreline that yielded my treasured pieces.  I feel like Smeagol/Gollum saying "my precious". . .LOL!


My precious!
I love the piece of Coca Cola bottle in the above picture that has the "C" .  For Cynthia, of course!  Another piece in the foreground is part of a bottle neck. . .

Now, there are some very firm rules about collecting and displaying sea glass.  It must be something found on the shore, it cannot be "tumbled" glass, which is something that cannot be entered into competition.  Yes, there are competitions!  And, purposely throwing glass into the ocean or lake with hopes that it will become weathered by the tide is also strictly OUT!  Besides, that is called LITTERING.

If you notice from the photos, most of the sea glass has a frosted look to it.  This is very desirable!  It should have rounded edges, and look a little pitted. . .

Shells that I have in this little tableau are from the beaches we've visited in NJ, FL, NC and SC.  We don't get very many shells here, outside of zebra mussels, and those are not too attractive.  We have family members living near Long Beach Island, NJ, and whenever we're there, we go to the beach.  I pick up shells that others would pass by, because they're not intact or as beautiful as a whole shell.  It doesn't matter to me.  I love the fragments that I've collected.  They are all beautiful!

Another small collection I have of beach finds consists of pottery or china shards that have washed ashore:


Shards of pottery/china from the beach
 This just speaks to my romantic sensibilities. . .Maybe these were cargo that got shipwrecked.  Or, they may have been part of the "ship's china", lost during a storm. . .I can just imagine the stories these could tell. . .


Shipwrecked?
Along our shore of the Lake, there have been numerous ships that went down, documented passenger, freight and war ships.  We're not far from the "Battle of Lake Erie" where Oliver Hazzard Perry defeated the British during the War of 1812.

Carl and I were fortunate to attend the re-enactment 200th anniversary of that event in September 2013.  I will eventually post some photographs.  It was quite spectacular. . .

I will post again some of my treasures from the lake.  If you look at my first blog post, I have photographs of our beach.  Here's the link:


Seasons on our beach
Thank you for stopping by today, and thank you to all who are following me! 

I am going to link up this post to Jeanne's Blue Monday party at Backyard Neighbor:

Blue Monday

Anything Blue Friday
Cynthia

6 comments:

  1. What lovely, fascinating collections you have, my sweet Cynthia, thank you for sharing this so interesting post with us !

    May the remainder of your week be blessed with joy,
    sending love across the miles

    Dany

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love your wonderful collection of sea glass. Your displays are lovely in every way. The china glass chard's are also truly lovely. Thank you so much for joining Blue Monday at Backyard Neighbor.

    Happy Blue Monday.
    xo
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely a view you must have, gazing toward the day through such amazing blues and greens! Sea glass is one of the true glories of nature, and you are certainly an excellent discoverer and curator of such riches.

    I remember our only trip to Lake Erie one Summer as we returned from Canada, and my great astonishment that a LAKE had TIDES. The sound of that water as it washed up unceasingly was absolutely magical, and the discovery of a perfect pale-green donut, created by a great cooperation of Time and Tide---that's still my greatest treasure of the trip.

    Fascinating and beautiful, and I'm delighted that you shared such largesse with us. Simply exquisite.

    rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great beach collections! Your sea glass is beautiful, and those china pieces are so mysterious! Love them all! Thanks for sharing. You are so lucky to have such easy access to so many seashores!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH my - those are glorious. I have a very few pieces of sea glass - though I do watch for it whenever I'm at the beach. With so many people living in our area it is hard to find much glass but I enjoy it when I do. Pretty collections - love the light shining through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of collecting sea glass. I live near Lake Ontario and have never thought to look for it there. I always thought I'd only find it on the beaches of the ocean. It is definitely something I would love to start to collect.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...