Saturday, March 5, 2016

Fan of Fans, and Unstylized Photographs


It seems that I am an accidental collector of hand fans.  To be honest, I did not intentionally set out to accumulate so many, but now I find myself the owner of more than thirty!  


Two matching silk painted fans with sequin trim
It started out innocently enough. . .bidding on an item that was beautiful, but no other bidders!  How could that be?  Well, they don't take up much room, and I love anything that is feminine and hearkens back to an era of gentility.  So, I ended up being the high bidder, and home they came.  

Now, the fans shown above are NOT the original ones that started the obsession, but they are quite lovely, don't you think?  And I am amazed that I have TWO that are matching!


Detail of matching fans

Some of my collection consists of fans that are in a very sorry state, and in need of repair, but I love them all.   The next one was found on E Bay, and I really didn't know what I was buying, but I found it strangely attractive. And I am glad that I purchased it, because I found out that I really got a deal.  It is quite antique, perhaps from the late 1800's - early 1900's. . .


Java hand fan, pierced water buffalo skin and horn handle


This is from the early 20th Century, and is made of lacquered paper/cardboard that has been painted with a scenery.  These were quite popular for advertising purposes, most often for hotels.


Detail of Art Deco Fan
I love how this shows the Gondola in the background, the lady in a pretty gown being waited on by blackamoor servants.  So not correct today, but during that time frame, it was not considered offensive.
Art Deco advertising fan

These were shot in our studio, because I wanted to get some of these cataloged.  Especially since they are fairly fragile, and should not be opened/closed just willy-nilly, and cannot be displayed without compromising their integrity. . .SO, I asked Carl to shoot them for me.  

These were not stylized, but just shot on a blue seamless.  My thoughts were that if I wanted a record of each one, it would be better to have them photographed without any "special lighting", and straight on.  That way, if I ever decide to sell any, these pictures would show an honest and accurate description of their condition.  


Celluloid fan with chain

 
Detail of painted celluloid fan

I have fallen in love with the details. . .

These next two fans are from the mid-century, and were quite common.  I'm sure a lot of you remember these:


Fold out compact fans, paper

Reverse side

These were made of paper, and would fold out from a metal "case" that would become the handle when opened.

It wasn't until I had these photographed that I developed a true appreciation of their beauty.  Look at the close up of these:


Beautiful detail

A work of art!
These are a few of the small collection I have of hand fans.  

I wish I could afford the ones I see selling for hundreds (even thousands!) of dollars. . .but I have to be content with the hunt, and occasionally being lucky to find something pretty for not a great deal of dough.  That is part of the fun of collecting anything, though.

I'll share more of my fans in future posts.  I also have a nice collection of antique and vintage parasols.  Guess I am a lover of old things!

Thank you for the visit, and if you are a follower, thank you!

Cynthia


1 comment:

  1. How lovely your fans are, I also love them so much, thank you for sharing these photographs of yours, my dear friend !

    Have a happy weekend, sending love to you
    Dany

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...