Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Paris dreams. . .

Bonjour, ces't  moi!

Hello, everyone!  I've been too long from blogging.  I hope there are still some of you who want to read this:


Like so many of you out there, I am enamored with all that has to do with anything French, and especially anything to do with the City of Lights: 

Paris 

Although I've not yet been to visit, I dream of the day that I'll be there to soak up the beauty and atmosphere. . .

Last year, I bought a very special folio of prints that were produced for a well known department store in Paris c. early 1900's:


This lovely album most likely gave someone before me a glimpse into a world they could only travel to in their dreams.  And now, I am the dreamer who is lucky to share this with you today. . .a hundred years later.

Please click on any of these pictures to enlarge

Galeries Lafayette Folio
This was a very exciting find for me, because it contained photographs from a time that I find to be very fascinating, the early part of the last Century.  I do believe that these were captured before the First World War (pre-1920), and show the every day goings about of the people who were living in and around a buzzing metropolis, one of the most important cities in the world at that time.

Early 20th Century Camera

Following are scans of the ones I found most intriguing:

Panoramic of Paris

Paris Stock Market

Paris Street Scene

I want to DIVE into these street scenes!  I want to be one of these people who are going about their business, maybe on their way to work, even!  This last one (above) has SO MUCH activity and bustle about it. . .young and old, women, men, children. . .day laborers, people of importance. . .in the left of this photograph are two women gossiping outside of a shop, on the right you see a boy with (most likely) his mother and father. . .but in the very center of this, running across the road is a young woman, dodging the horse carts and automobiles.  I wonder where she was going.  Was she running an errand?  Did she work at one of the shops on this boulevard?  Oh, the stories that could be dreamed up for each of these pedestrians. . .

The Paris Opera
And then there is this gloriously populated scene at the Paris Opera.  My guess is that it must be a very important opening for everyone looks to be well dressed for the occasion. .

Close up of The Paris Opera
I've enlarged this one to hone in on the gentlemen in the foreground because that brings me to a subject that I REALLY want to share with you.

Antique/Vintage Parasols and Umbrellas

One of my favorite collections consists of antique and vintage parasols and umbrellas.  I have been collecting these for several years, and am excited to share some of my favorites with you today.

The above photograph shows several men toting these utilitarian devices.

Collection of antique umbrellas

Close up of antique umbrella handles
Now, honestly!  Aren't these handles beautiful?  I just love the detail. . .the mother of pearl and gold and Bakelite that was used to distinguish one from another.  While the useful part (which kept the user protected from the elements) was everyday black, there was an individuality reserved for the portion that would have been held close to the owner.  This, to me, I find most desirable, and I cherish those I have.  In future posts I will share my parasol collection. . .


Detail of handle engravings


Frames Print from Paris folio

I removed a couple of the prints from this portfolio and matted/framed to display in one of my bedrooms.  Please don't judge too harshly on this matting job. . .our mat cutter wasn't working properly and it's kind of wonky.   I just wanted you to see what I was able to do with an inexpensive frame that I used chalk pain on. . .cost was less than $5.  I'll definitely be re-cutting that mat, though.



   Well, that's all for now, but I have more posts that will be coming shortly.  Besides the parasols, I have a serious obsession for ribbons. . .

The zinnias and snapdragons are from my garden, and I proudly grew these from seed this year.  Lavender grows profusely here.

I do hope you've enjoyed this post, and if, like me, you've never been to Paris. . .

Let's pretend we have!

Milleurs voeux!

Cynthia

I will be sharing this post with the following parties.  Please visit these hosts:

How Sweet The Sound Pink Saturday

Bella Rosa Antiques

10 comments:

  1. Oh sweet Cynthia, I so enjoyed pretending I was in Paris for I have never been {maybe someday}. How your posts thrill my heart with their sweetness and beauty...it was truly a joy to visit you this evening.

    Have a most joyous September. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Cynthia,

    your book with such charming vintage images from Paris and your collection of ancient umbrellas have won my heart, I so love everything talking about the past, you know !

    May your day be blessed with joy and your September be as happy as ever
    sending much love

    Xx Dany

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely enjoyed looking at the old prints of life back then in wonderful Paris.
    I always wanted to collect old umbrella however there was always something else at an auction I wanted more and couldn't have it all,darn it.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too would love to visit the romantic city of Paris and the vintage photos you've shared are from a time without the hustle and bustle of modern day. Love the handles on the umbrellas, how cool it would be to have a monogrammed one. I look forward to the parasols, I have a Victorian type reproduction in full size and a couple in mini size for a tea table.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a wonderful post filled with amazing eye candy!! Love your impressive collection of vintage parasols and umbrellas!! Thanks so much for visiting!! Hope you had a great Labor Day weekend!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paris is waiting for you, Cynthia. No time like the present. I would suggest skipping September. It's "la rentrée," which means that everyone is reluctantly coming back from summer vacations and not anxious to get back to daily, work-a-day life. So, to prolong vacations, they often go on strike for any little reason. October is a beautiful month and it is cêpes (a wonderful type of mushroom) season. They are so delicious.

    This October, my cousin's daughter and her children will be coming from France to visit me. I'm so very much looking forward to their visit.

    Loved your pictures and those beautiful artisanal handles. Just gorgeous!

    Cheers, M-T

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my Dear, I have been to Paris. For our 40th Wedding Ann., my husband gave me a Spring week in Paris. 8 days actually. And it was lovely. 1999 was the year. I Net knew someone there, and he met with us three times, and made sure I saw the "real Paris," which he knew I wanted to see.

    Oh my! Stories can be made up, about so many of the people, in photos like these. Showing wonderful bits of life, in times gone by. How lucky you are to have this album of prints.

    I would love to see photos of your collection of antique and vintage parasols. Oh yes!!! I love, love, love parasols. Please... Do show us some, some time? Please and thank you.

    Gentle hugs to you,
    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  8. And by the way, I saw your comment in Cielo's lovely blog. And thus, came over here.

    Happy to have met you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cynthia,
    Your photos of old Paris are so interesting and make me look for comparisons of the same street/building today and how they have changed. You will love Paris when you get to visit. Thanks for sharing your umbrella collection. The handles are beautiful. Please share your parasol collection soon.

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Cynthia, I am your newest follower. I have been to Paris and it was lovely. We also went on a week's long barge trip. It's on my blog. Loving the beautiful photos you have shared. I hope you go, you will fall in love with Paris. I would love if you shared this at our link party, Dishing it & Digging It. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...