Thursday, June 9, 2016

For Sarah


As a little girl, I adored playing dress-up with the cast-off or out of style garments and all the feminine accoutrements for the toilette or vanity which our Mothers or Aunts no longer wanted or could use.  Having the latter helped fulfill our fantasies of being grand "ladies".  

Apparently, I've never outgrown the love of these pretty old things.  I try to be a bit more discriminating in my purchases (because I fear becoming a hoarder - LOL!).  But, if I get an opportunity to acquire something pretty, chances are I'll go for it.    

And, I still find beauty in things that have been well loved, or past their prime. . .  



This little composition consists of some recent acquisitions: a few brooches (one glass and two that are hand painted porcelain), two small compacts and a hand mirror.  

The mirror has quite a noticeable crack, and that could very well be the reason why I was able to win this for a fairly low bid amount.  Well, that's okay with me, because upon inspecting it, I discover that it is just the glass covering the picture.  I believe that this can be replaced, however I will have an expert do the repair.




In my opinion, it's still quite lovely, even with the crack!  At 17" long, it's bigger than most others I've seen, and it has a "heft" to it.  The mirror is intact.


Very pretty hand mirror

So, you're probably wondering where the title of my post comes in.  

One of the brooches featured in the first photograph (above) is that of a young woman, painted in what I think is a Regency styling.  Just judging from the hair and clothing.  Not sure if it is actually as old as that, but it is definitely "old". 


The artistry of the painting is really exquisite.  Someone was very good at painting on porcelain.  But, they did not sign it, unless they did so on the back, which is now covered.  

Anyway, the day that I was expecting to receive this (won through an on-line auction house), my son was visiting, and witnessed me opening the package.  When he saw this, the first thing he said was "that looks exactly like Sarah!" And indeed, it does

Sarah is his wife.  They have been married for 7 years, and have known each other since they were very young children.  It is through them that I am proud to be a Grandma, or "Nonny" as my sweet Adeline calls me!

Well, I thought about this for a while, and decided that this beauty should belong to Sarah.  So, after taking a moment to photograph it, I wrapped it up in a sweet little Limoges box, and sent it off for her to treasure.  Someday, it may be passed down to Adeline, with the story that her Daddy recognized Sarah's angelic look in the face of someone who lived long ago. . .perhaps the artist was someone in love with the subject?  That's what I'd like to imagine. . .

Almost as beautiful as the real Sarah


































I am pretty sure that most of you who follow my blog are also lovers of "old things". . .  am I correct in saying so?

Hope everyone is having a beautiful June, and thank you for visiting me today!

I will be sharing this post with the following parties:

Rooted In Thyme: Simple & Sweet Fridays

Vintage Charm Party #34

bellarosaantiques "Let's Talk Vintage"


thededicatedhouseanything-blue-friday

A Tray of Bliss "Five Star Frou Frou"


Cynthia

10 comments:

  1. What a perfect story to go along with a beautiful treasure! I love that you gave that beautiful brooch to your daughter-in-law. The hand mirror is exquisite and I would have had to have it too, even with the crack. I just love your new treasures, as they remind me of my grandmothers things I knew as a child, that are now mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the story and the brooch so cool thanks for sharing and yes I love all thing vintage especially old houses have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I am a lover of old things, and your old things are absolutely beautiful! Love the story about how the lady looks like Sarah, and you are so very sweet to pass it on to her! What a treasure to be passed down! Thanks so much for sharing with us and have a blessed day!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, the blue ribbon and white background really make this brooch stand out, but I suspect that this piece on its own is quite the sight! How gorgeous are your treasures, Cynthia! Thank you for coming to view the peonies. How I wish for an endless summer! Be well! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cynthia, what a beautiful story attached to your sweet pendant! I'm sure Sarah will treasure it. I'd love you to come and share this at my Five Star Frou-Frou linkup at A Tray of Bliss. We adore vintage, and especially vintage with a story! Love, Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Cynthia, what a lovely story! You're a great Nonny and a great mother-in-law for sure!Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm! xoKathleen Charm Bracelet Diva {At Home}

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest Cynthia, what a charming and whimsical post! The photos took my breath away and I simply loved the sweet story.

    Thank you for making my morning extra beautiful. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear, sweetest Cynthia,
    thank you for another so beautiful post full of love and enthusiasm, ... and of a little of magic ... to come and visit you always fills my heart with gladness !

    Enjoy the end of your week ahead,
    sending my dearest love to you
    with so much gratitude

    Xx ~ Dany

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Cynthia, I love this post so much and I'm so glad you came and shared at Five Star Frou-Frou. Come and join us again, won't you? Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mimi! I loved taking part in your party, and I will participate again. Thank you for visiting my blog, and for featuring me.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...