Sharing some Dahlias
Hope everyone is enjoying the transition from Summer to Autumn. I am a Summer girl, and I really hate to see the days growing shorter, but I DO love the seasonal changes, too!
This is the prime time for my Dahlias. Every year, I plant the tubers in May, usually on Mother's Day. And I patiently wait for mid-to-late August for the flowers to begin blooming.
These are not planted to be "landscape" plants, admired for the beauty they'd give to the overall look of the garden, but instead, I have a designated "cutting garden". Unfortunately, until the flowers appear, it looks like a dirt garden. But, it receives the prime amount of sunlight, and since we're not too close to the road, not really noticeable to the general public.
So, here's the show:
![]() |
| "Wannabee" |
![]() |
| And the Bees really love them! |
![]() |
| Touche' |
These next two shots are the dahlia "Jaden Charles", and it is quite stunning as it's petals unfurl. . .Most of these shots were taken with my phone, so not necessarily the best quality. . .
![]() |
| Jaden Charles fully opened |
The lovely thing about dahlias is that the tubers multiply, so when they're dug up and stored for next year's planting, you can end up with multiple plants! However, I am not the best at labeling, thinking I'll "remember" what they are next year. . .uh, yeah. . .
Hence, there are a few that I'm not able to properly identify. They're just "pretty flowers"!
![]() |
The blooms on the one above and the one below are HUGE!!! About 8 - 10" across, and ONE blossom in a vase is good for a bouquet.
![]() |
| Citron de Cap |
![]() |
| Peaches and Cream |
I love every color these amazing flowers come in. And every size and type as well.
![]() |
| Bashful |
![]() |
| Chloe Janae |
![]() |
| Imperial Wine |
![]() |
| Jason Matthews |
![]() |
| Rebecca Lynn |
This last flower is one of the newest planted this year, and is named "X-Factor". Appropriate name, because it is GORGEOUS!
![]() |
| X-Factor |
This was the first blossom on the plant, and got a little damaged in one of the storms we had, but the plant is now covered in buds, so I'm hoping to have a nice bouquet of these in the next week.
The plants I have right now should still produce flowers right through October. Since we're so close to the lake, we generally don't get frost as early as if we were further inland. At least, we're USUALLY safe. . .The rule of thumb is to dig and store the tubers after there's been a "killing" frost, but before the ground is hard. For us, that could easily be up until mid-November.
I am eagerly looking forward to the many new dahlias for 2017, and plan to order early to be sure I get them!
Almost as pretty as the sunsets this time of year:
Thank you for visiting my blog, and I hope everyone is enjoying the cooler weather and the gorgeous colors that Autumn brings.
Linking up to these awesome parties:
Pink Saturday
Make It Pretty Monday
Cynthia





















I wholeheartedly thank you for this stunning post, dearest Cynthia, your Dahlias are simply gorgeous and the sunset with which you close your post has filled my hearth with such an emotion, it truly moved me !
ReplyDeleteMay your weekend be as beautiful as you, sweetie,
sending hugs and ever much love across the many miles
Xx Dany
What a beautiful and majestic show, sweet friend. Now I shall dream of soft and pretty Dahlias :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing such loveliness with us. Hugs to you!
Gorgeous, Gorgeous, Gorgeous!!
ReplyDeleteMary Alice
Stunning photos of your beautiful dahlias! Gorgeous sunset!! Thanks so much for stopping by!
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Debbie
Beautiful! You have such a gorgeous variety. I would love to have a cutting garden like that. The dahlias must make the transition from summer a little easier for you.
ReplyDeleteNice to visit here, Cynthia. I see we are "neighbors" -- at least our states are!
Blessings, Deborah
Hi Cynthia, Wow, what a dahlia show! Just beautiful! As is the sunset photo.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for your recent visit and comment.
Cynthia, your dahlias are just beautiful. One of my favorite flowers that look so beautiful in an arrangement, but I have never planted any. The sunset is one of the prettiest photos I've seen. Happy Wednesday..Judy
ReplyDeleteOh this explains it! I planted my dahlias in March and they bloomed beautifully through early July. I will try a later planting next year. Have a wonderful weekend.
ReplyDeleteSuch lovely array of glorious flowers... would they come back? I planted dahlias this spring, they are now well gone into nothingness and I'm still hoping for a rebloom next spring, but of course, that's just how naive I am ;)... hope you find your magic in your backyard tonight, just as you wished! Thanks for stopping by our little white cottage earlier today... so nice seeing you around.
ReplyDeleteCielo
Wonderful dahlias!!Stunning!
ReplyDelete